Nora Quoirin’s family seek answers over girl’s death in Malaysia



16 August 2019 10:30

The family of Nora Quoirin, the 15-year-old who went missing in the Malaysian jungle, have said they hope to have “more answers to our many questions” about the death of their daughter.

They said in a statement: “Today the deputy prime minister of Malaysia and the minister for the state paid their respects to our family. We had the opportunity to thank them for everything that the Malaysian government, police, search and rescue teams, local people and volunteers have done to help us. Tragically, as we know, this wasn’t enough to save Nora.

“The initial postmortem results have given some information that help us to understand Nora’s cause of death. But our beautiful innocent girl died in extremely complex circumstances and we are hoping that soon we will have more answers to our many questions. We are still struggling to understand the events of the last 10 days.

“We would like to thank the Malaysian authorities for their ongoing support and cooperation with international governments and police as the criminal and missing persons investigations continue.

“We will be bringing Nora home where she will finally be laid to rest, close to her loving families in France and Ireland.”

The body of the London teenager was found on Tuesday, down a steep ravine in the jungle, after a 10-day search. Nora had gone missing overnight on 3 August from the resort where she was staying with her family, sparking a search operation involving more than 350 people, including officers from the UK, France and Ireland, local tribespeople and hundreds of volunteers.

Nora was barefoot and in underwear when she went missing. A window was found wide open downstairs in the holiday cottage where she was staying. Her body was eventually discovered unclothed in a stream 1.2 miles from the resort where she was staying.

An autopsy concluded that Nora had probably died of starvation and stress after spending seven days in the jungle.

Speaking outside the police headquarters in Seremban this week, the Negri Sembilan police chief, Mohammad Mat Yusop, said Nora had died “two to three days ago” from internal bleeding, possibly caused by “prolonged starvation or stress”.

The exact cause of death given by the police was “upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer complicated with perforation”.


guardian sport added by Cavan Bradford


There are no comments yet.

You must log in to post a comment.

Similar news